Scales in concert pitch for 2024 auditions to be played in this order:
2024 Scales: D, Eb, E, F, and Chromatic.
Tryouts for a position in the Northeast Mississippi Band Director’s Association Honor Band shall be as follows:
a. All wind and mallet instruments shall be responsible for ALL 12 MAJOR SCALES
b. All wind and mallet instruments shall play the CHROMATIC SCALE demonstrating their range capabilities and will be judged accordingly. Range, speed,
and clarity are important.
c. ALL scales shall be played from MEMORY in as many octaves as they so desire. Tempo and pattern will be determined by the students but speed and
style will be considered in the judging. All scales should be prepared and performed both tongued and slurred.
d. Percussionists will be responsible for the following rudiments played Lento-presto-lento:
1. Long Roll 5. Paradiddlediddle
2. Five-stroke roll 6. Flam accent
3. Seven-stroke roll 7. Flam
4. Paradiddle 8. Flam Tap
9. Nine Stroke roll
e. Students trying out on timpani shall perform the following:
1. Tune two (2) pitches of the judge’s choice
2. Demonstrate a roll on timpani
3. Perform the timpani prepared piece
4. Sight read a selection on timpani
*FLUTE UPDATED 11-30-18*